How to Claim
Claims can be submitted:
- Telephonically on 0860 111 839
- By email at email@example.com
- Or through Lion of Africa’s online claim portal https://www.lionlife.co.za/claims/
The documents you will be required to submit could include:
- A completed claim form.
- A certified copy of the death certificate of the deceased.
- BI1663 (Notice of Death) forms.
- A certified copy of the deceased’s and the beneficiaries’ ID books/cards and/or passports for foreign nationals.
- Stamped copy of Claimants bank statement.
- Any medical records the insurer may require.
- Any supporting documents the insurer may require.
Your consultant may ask you to provide Lion Life with additional documents to accurately assess the claim properly. Turnaround time on claims processing vary depending on the category you are claiming under and the access you have to required documents. Once a claim is approved, payment is usually received within 48hrs.
Lion of Africa Life Assurance Company Pty Ltd (FSP 15283) will make every attempt to validate claims and pay valid claims. Please be aware of the specific exclusions which are on your policy though:
Circumstances where a death claim will not be paid:
- The life insured (domestic worker or gardener) committed suicide within 2yrs (24 months) of being insured.
- The life insured died of natural causes within the first 6 months of the policy being issued. The claim will still be accepted if the life insured dies from accidental causes in the first 6 months of the policy being issued.
- The nominated beneficiary is the policyholder or a member of the policyholder’s family.
Circumstances where a disability claim will not be paid:
- The life insured could not perform one or more of the activities on the list of required activities of an indoors/outdoors domestic worker when the policy was issued. In other words, the life insured had a pre-existing condition the employer was aware of.
- The policyholder (employer) expected the life insured to be unable to perform one or more all the activities on the list of required activities of an indoors/outdoors domestic worker within 12 months when the policy was issued. In other words, the employer was aware of a pending pre-existing condition.
- The injury was intentionally self-inflicted.
- The injury was temporary and did not meet the claims criteria of lasting for at least 4 months.
- The injury didn’t meet the claims criteria of impacting at least 5 of the tasks described in the requirements of the indoors / outdoors domestic worker.
Circumstances when a critical illness claim will not be paid:
- A cancer claim arises within 6 months of the policy being issued.
- The life assured has suffered from the claimable critical illness category before. In other words, the life assured had a pre-existing condition.
- The life insured is diagnosed with one or more of the following less invasive forms of cancer which are not covered:
- All cancers in situ and all premalignant conditions, these being early stage cancers where there is no invasion of surrounding tissue.
- All tumours of the prostate unless classified as having a Gleason score greater than 6 or having progressed to at least clinical TNM classification T2N0M0.
- All skin cancers, other than malignant melanoma that is more than 1.5 mm thick.
- Chronic Lymphocytic Leukaemia stage 0.